Pegasus request for delay adds finale drama

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 06 May, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Sunday, 06 May, 2012, 12:00am


TSW Pegasus have requested their final match of the season be moved to the same date league leaders Kitchee play, after Pegasus beat Wofoo Tai Po 4-0 in the BMA First Division at Yuen Long Stadium yesterday to keep the title race alive.

With only one round left in the season, the two teams are separated by just one point, with the destination of the championship to be decided in two weeks.

The original fixture list has Pegasus, now on 38 points after the victory, play Sunray Cave Sun Hei at home on May 18, while Kitchee meet Biu Chun Rangers at Tseung Kwan O Sports Ground two days later.

'Both matches play an important role in deciding the title and to be fair to both sides, they should be held on the same day,' said Pegasus coach Chan Hiu-ming.

'Otherwise, there will be psychological effects on the players, which may affect their performance.'

During the 2004-05 season, Sun Hei and Happy Valley were tied on 31 points before the final round, and their respective matches against Fukien and Kitchee were rearranged to the same date. Sun Hei won the title with a 1-0 win, while Happy Valley were held to a 3-3 draw.

A spokesman for the HKFA said they would look into the possibility once they had received an official request, as it would depend on the availability of venues and manpower.

The coach, meanwhile, paid tribute to centrehalf Ng Wai-chiu (pictured), who broke the stalemate after a barren first half.

'We had an improved second half and that's why we scored four goals,' said Chan. 'The standard we played came close to our performance in the first half of the season, when we were in superb form and led the table. But we also have to thank Ng for his leadership - that pushed the boys to work forward.'

Pegasus, who needed to win or see Kitchee crowned champions, dominated the first half but couldn't find the net. They had to wait until Ng, who joined them from South China in January, struck home in the 61st minute to break the deadlock. Godfred Karikari, Leandro Silva and Jaimes McKee then added to the tally.

In yesterday's other match at Mong Kok Stadium, South China, who are out of title contention, remained in third on 35 points after thrashing Rangers 5-2.