Pegasus toil to reach second final

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 13 May, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Sunday, 13 May, 2012, 12:00am


TSW Pegasus reached their second cup final of the season as they scraped past Sham Shui Po 3-1 in their FA Cup semi-final at Mong Kok Stadium yesterday.

They are likely to meet rivals Kitchee - who take on Biu Chun Rangers today - in the final.

The two leading sides, who are also competing against each other for the championship, have already met in the League Cup final this season which Kitchee won 2-1.

'Kitchee are definitely the favourites against Rangers in terms of performance so far this season and should have a good chance of meeting us again in the final,' said Pegasus coach Chan Hiu-ming. 'But it's too early to talk about the cup as we still have one crucial last league game against Sun Hei next week.'

Kitchee lead Pegasus by a single point in the standings with only one round left and an unfavourable result for either team is likely to cost them the title. 'Our target is to defeat Sun Hei on Thursday so that all the pressure will be on Kitchee,' said the coach. 'We then can wait and see how Kitchee finish in their last match.

'We will not give up hope as long as there is a 10 per cent chance. You never know what can happen.'

Kitchee will meet Rangers again next Sunday for their last league match of the season. They will become champions for the second consecutive season if they beat Rangers, regardless of the result of the match between Pegasus and Sun Hei.

Pegasus had wanted to shift their match against Sun Hei to the same day as Kitchee-Rangers, but the venue was not available.

Against relegation-bound Sham Shui Po yesterday, Pegasus only had themselves to blame for failing to settle the tie early.

Despite a perfect opening by striker Leandro Silva, who netted in the second minute, Pegasus couldn't convert total control into goals, and conceded an equaliser in the closing stages of the first half. Lo Kong-wai put Sham Shui Po back on level terms when his shot was deflected by Silva into the top left corner.

Cheung Kin-fung put Pegasus back in front, the fullback's cross floating over goalkeeper Leonardo 15 minutes into the second half, and Jaimes McKee sealed the victory with a header in the 75th minute.