Three men held over assault on 5 boys
Three men were arrested yesterday over an alleged indecent assault on five expatriate boys playing near a building site at Discovery Bay on Lantau Island.
A police source said the boys, aged between seven and 12, were alleged to have been touched indecently by the men on Saturday.
The boys stayed around the site for more than an hour before returning home and telling their parents what had happened.
The three men were all said to be construction workers.
But the police's handling of the case and the limited police presence in Discovery Bay, a development popular with expatriate families, have drawn criticism.
Last night, a police spokesman confirmed three men were being questioned.
No one had been charged and the Lantau district crime squad was investigating.
Amy Yung Wing-sheung, who represents Discovery Bay on the Islands district council, says she believes the area is still a safe place to live and serious crimes are rare.
But she was angered by the police's handling of the case.
'Both officers inside the [development's] police post told me they knew nothing about the case when I approached them [on Sunday],' said Yung, who has lived at Discovery Bay for 28 years.
'They said we could go to the police station at Tung Chung for more information.'
The police station was a full-scale operation until the Discovery Bay Tunnel opened in 2000, allowing road access to the development for the first time.
It is usually open for only three hours a day.
The 17,000 residents have to approach police in Tung Chung for assistance at other times.