Man causes bomb scare at Central MTR station
Clifford Lo and Danny Mok
Four entrances to the busy Central MTR station were closed yesterday for 45 minutes after a man clashed with passengers and railway staff, causing officers from bomb disposal and counter-terror units to be called.
The Pakistani man, 37, a Hong Kong resident who speaks Cantonese, had a mobile phone taped to his forearm, with wires apparently attached to it. He was arrested after confronting an MTR driver in the cabin of a Tsuen Wan-bound train.
He had earlier become upset during a dispute with passengers about 1.40pm. Police said no explosives were found and the exits were re-opened at 3.20pm. The man was arrested for carrying offensive weapons - a paper cutter and pair of scissors.
A police officer said the man had become involved in a dispute with other passengers on the train. The passengers called police.
He then managed to enter the train's front compartment and got into an argument with the driver.
When the man ignored the driver's demand to leave, the driver called his colleagues and police.
The man was forced out of the driver's cabin by officers and taken to the police post in the station.
Bomb disposal officers found a mobile phone attached to his left forearm with strips of black tape. After examination they confirmed it did not pose a threat.
Police said the man was emotionally unstable after having a family dispute as well as a disagreement with business partners over a recycling plant in Pat Heung.
An MTR spokesman said exits A to D and a separate passageway in the station were closed from 2.35pm to 3.20pm at the request of the police.
No one was evacuated and train services were not affected during the incident, the spokesman said.
Police are also looking into a bomb threat sent by email to Hung Hom MTR station on Tuesday, prompting the search of a mainland-bound through train and the station that delayed the train for 45 minutes. Nothing suspicious was found.
Meanwhile, police received a call soon after 1pm from the Legislative Council's Secretariat in Admiralty yesterday, saying they had received an email warning about suspicious objects on the premises.
Officers found nothing after a search.