Nine more arrested over triad attack

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 23 May, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 23 May, 2012, 12:00am


Police have arrested nine people at a San Po Kong industrial building over a brutal chopping incident in Cheung Sha Wan that resulted in a traffic policeman shooting dead one of five knife-wielding attackers.

The latest operation brings to 16 the number of people arrested almost two weeks after the assault, thought to be linked to a triad feud.

A unit on the roof of the 16-storey Wong King Industrial Building in Tai Yau Street was used as a hideout by suspects in the attack on a faction leader of the Wo On Lok triad.

A senior officer said the nine suspects included at least one of the attackers and most of them were alleged members of Wo On Lok.

'There is no indication the other attackers have fled out of Hong Kong,' he said. 'We are still trying to track them down.'

On May 11, the faction leader, known as 'Fei Kai', was chopped by five men on Castle Peak Road.

A traffic policeman shouted at the gang to stop but one of the men ran at him, brandishing a knife. The officer opened fire and the attacker, 36, later died in hospital.

More than 100 plainclothes officers took part in the pre-dawn raid yesterday. They arrested eight men and one woman - all aged between 19 and 49.

The suspects were taken to the headquarters of the Kowloon West regional crime unit in Kowloon City.

Another officer said: 'The raid went smoothly and the officers encountered minor resistance.'

Last night, the suspects were being detained for questioning with none charged.

Anti-triad officers had earlier arrested six men and one woman over the Cheung Sha Wan attack.

It is understood the seven included Wo On Lok senior members 'Fei Wai' and 'Sam Chuen', and the triad's former leader, alias Ko Lo Fat.

They were all granted police bail.

Police believe the chopping assault was sparked by long-standing infighting between two factions in a leadership struggle in Wo On Lok.