Tiananmen victim 'surprised' to be allowed into HK
An activist whose legs were crushed by a tank during the 1989 military crackdown in Tiananmen Square has arrived in Hong Kong to join locals in activities marking the 23rd anniversary of the bloodshed.
Fang Zheng, 46, flew in from his home in San Francisco on a Chinese passport and will be allowed to stay in Hong Kong until Wednesday.
The Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements in China invited him to the city to attend a series of events, including the candle-light vigil in Victoria Park on Monday.
Today, Fang is expected to visit activists from the Federation of Students who yesterday started a 64-hour hunger strike outside Times Square in Causeway Bay.
'I have come to talk to people, especially young people, so that they can know the truth about the June 4 killings,' Fang said. 'The most effective weapon to fight the communist regime is to refuse to forget what the government wants us to forget, and to refuse to forget what the government has done.
'We June 4 activists overseas have always known that Hong Kong people are still very much concerned about June 4. We are very moved.'Shielded by the 'one country, two systems' policy guaranteed by Beijing, Hong Kong is the only place on Chinese soil where large-scale activities marking the Tiananmen Square killings are tolerated.
'We want the truth, we want vindication, we want the perpetrators to be brought to justice,' added Fang, who was a student athlete when he lost his legs under a tank during the crackdown.
He said he had been persecuted by the government ever since. He left China and moved to the United States in 2009.
Fang said he was surprised that he had been allowed into Hong Kong.
Alliance chairman Lee Cheuk-yan said he was also a little surprised that Fang had not been barred from the city by the immigration authorities.
'We don't think the Hong Kong government has loosened its grip. We suspect it was because Fang has a relatively low profile and is not so well known as other activists,' Lee said.
Last year, the Hong Kong government refused a visa application by Wang Dan , a leader of the 1989 protests, to come to Hong Kong to attend the funeral of Szeto Wah, the alliance's founder and former chairman.
Meanwhile, pan-democrats last night staged an 'alternative motion debate' outside the Legislative Council complex, calling for vindication for those killed on June 4. The motion was supposed to be discussed in the Legislative Council, but the debate has been delayed by the pan-democrats' filibustering.