• Tue
  • Sep 2, 2014
  • Updated: 5:13am

International Sixes may revert to a two-day event

PUBLISHED : Monday, 04 June, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 04 June, 2012, 12:00am
 

This year's Karp Group Hong Kong International Sixes will be played over two days, instead of three, unless the event gets backing from the Mega Events Fund (MEF), top official Shahzada Saleem says.

This decision was taken by the 'old' Hong Kong Cricket Association executive committee, which remains in office after Saturday night's annual general meeting was adjourned due to the last-minute withdrawal of Anoop Gidwani, Sudhir Gidwani and Burji Shroff, who had been expected to take over as chairman, treasurer and president respectively.

'It is business as usual. Yes, we had to adjourn the AGM and we will have to call for fresh nominations for the top three positions but there is no leadership vacuum within the HKCA. We will continue to make decisions if it is to the benefit of the HKCA,' incumbent president Saleem said yesterday.

The AGM will be reconvened within the next three months, once new nominations are in, but Saleem expected 'consensus candidates' to emerge soon.

'Hopefully, the members will be able to decide on a consensus candidate for all the positions within the next six to seven days,' he said.

Saleem and chairman Dinesh Tandon were to stand down over the weekend after completing three years in office. But the sudden decision by the Gidwanis to withdraw their names - fearing their positions as chief investigators with the ICAC could be compromised in the future if and when the HKCA went out seeking commercial sponsorship - has led to the former executive committee remaining in office.

And one decision taken by the body at its last Hong Kong Sixes meeting, four days before the adjourned AGM, was that since the MEF had not called for applications, this year's tournament would be a two-day event on the last weekend of October.

'The MEF is not up and running as yet. As soon as they start calling for applications, we will send ours and hopefully it will be approved,' Saleem said. 'But until then, we will proceed on the basis that it will be a two-day tournament.'

Last year the MEF gave HK$3.5 million to the Sixes, allowing it to expand to three days, featuring 12 teams including the All Stars.

The government recently revamped the MEF and pumped in HK$150 million over five years.

'We all want to have a three-day tournament. But that would depend entirely on whether the MEF gives us funds again. In the meantime we are going ahead and planning for an eight-team tournament. Invitations have already gone out to seven countries,' Saleem said.

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or