National People's Congress

C.Y. pledge as pressure over Li Wangyang mounts

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 12 June, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 12 June, 2012, 12:00am

Leung Chun-ying would reflect Hongkongers' views to Beijing on matters of concern, his top aide said yesterday.

The chief executive-elect was criticised for failing to comment after thousands marched to the central government's liaison office on Sunday to demand an investigation into the death of Tiananmen dissident Li Wangyang. Yesterday, Leung's office released a statement in which he said: 'I believe the [central government] has already noted the concerns expressed by the people of Hong Kong over the passing away of Mr Li Wangyang.'

The activist (pictured) was found dead in suspicious circumstances in a Hunan hospital last week.

At least three more Hong Kong delegates to the National People's Congress (NPC) - Tim Lui Tim-leung, Miriam Lau Kin-yee and Ip Kwok-him - wrote to NPC chairman Wu Bangguo yesterday, demanding Beijing look into Li's death. NPC deputy Michael Tien Puk-sun and Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC) deputy Lew Mon-hung have also written letters.

Fanny Law Fan Chiu-fun, director of Leung's office, said he would make the voices of Hongkongers heard by the central government.

But Law did not say whether he should raise the matter directly with Beijing leaders when he was sworn in on July 1.

Lau said Leung should express concern because Hongkongers cared about the matter. 'He should push for mainland authorities to follow up even if he may not be willing to make his stance public.'

At least four other delegates to the NPC and the CPPCC promised to urge Beijing to conduct a probe.

Daxiang Hospital in Shaoyang city, where Li was found dead, was under close watch yesterday.

Lu Haiping, of the Daxiang district propaganda office, said: 'The Li case is a small one, and it's near the end.'

The ward where Li was reportedly found hanged is on the seventh floor. Its door was locked, while four wards on the same floor were open. None of the patients had heard of Li. The phones of Li's sister Li Wangling and her husband were switched off yesterday.

Shaoyang police said Li Wangling and her husband agreed to an autopsy on Li and to his cremation, which they attended on Saturday, one day after the autopsy. Earlier reports said Li's family did not consent to an autopsy or his cremation.

Close friend Yin Zhengan said: 'Li Wangling and her husband are both your simple and honest citizens. When they are isolated from others and under such enormous pressure, it's possible they would sign [an agreement].'