• Sat
  • Dec 20, 2014
  • Updated: 9:03pm

Set to go swimmingly

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 27 June, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 27 June, 2012, 12:00am
 

This year's cross-harbour swim on October 21 will be open to 1,500 participants - 500 more than last year, when the event was restarted after a 33-year break.

The Hong Kong Amateur Swimming Association has also shortened the course between Lei Yue Mun and Sai Wan Ho from 1.8 kilometres to 1.5 kilometres.

David Chiu Chin-hung, from the association, said the shorter route would be easier for swimmers as it followed the water stream better.

Competitors who successfully completed last year's race will be given priority in entering; others need to go through a time trial.

The event will have about 150 lifeguards, and the public can watch the race closer to the shore this year, on Sam Ka Tsuen public pier and Quarry Bay Park promenade.

The cross-harbour swim was stopped in 1978 because of concerns about polluted water. The swimming association says the water is now safe enough for swimmers.

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or