Migrant worker arrested for blog post
A 31-year-old migrant worker in Guangdong's Zhongshan city has been arrested in the wake of demonstrations by migrant workers, which led to the lockdown of the Shaxi township for at least two days.
Police said the man, originally from Chongqing, was detained for spreading incendiary rumours on his microblogging account.
They said the worker went online on Tuesday evening to accuse police of beating a teenager to death. 'An amazing scene to have up to 1,000 police officers maintaining order,' the worker wrote.
The accusation followed the authorities' announcement earlier that evening that the migrant workers' unrest had been quelled.
Police said the worker was trying to boost his popularity, but he later showed remorse for his action.
Prior to the unrest, a Chongqing teenager was fighting with a local primary school student on Monday.
While being restrained by local police, the teenager suffered facial injuries.
That evening, about 30 displeased relatives of the teenager had gathered outside the police station of Longshan village in the township.
By 10.30pm, the crowd outside the police station had swelled to about 300 people. They subsequently clashed with the police, with some throwing rocks and bricks.
Media reports suggested that there were several thousand Sichuanese embroiled in a bloody battle with the police, with dozens of people injured and police and private cars overturned.
On Tuesday evening, some microblog posts said there were at least 1,000 people involved in the clash, with hundreds of police deployed.
Provincial media later published an interview with the Chongqing teenager to prove he was alive.
As of yesterday, many weibo posts containing pictures and negative comments about the unrest have been removed. The remaining posts extol police efforts at maintaining the peace and stability in Zhongshan.
Shaxi residents said order had been restored by yesterday and that the streets were very quiet. But some witnesses said the atmosphere remained tense at night.