-
Advertisement

Mother admits starving her son

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP

A judge has condemned a mother of five whose infant son starved to death after she only fed him heavily diluted baby milk, saying the baby had been in a worse state than malnourished children in the developing world.

So Suk-yee yesterday pleaded guilty to one count of mistreating a child. The District Court heard that the three-month-old boy weighed only 3kg when he died, half of what a normal baby should weigh, and had put on just 160 grams since birth.

Counsel for So, 32, said she lived on HK$6,300 per month in welfare and did not have the money to take the boy to a doctor.

Advertisement

But Deputy Judge Adriana Tse told So she did not appear to be malnourished. She said any suggestion So would not have noticed the child's condition earlier was preposterous.

The baby, who did not have a birth certificate and who was not named in court, was eventually taken to Princess Margaret Hospital in Kwai Chung on May 5 last year but died 90 minutes later.

Advertisement

At the time of his death, the boy's heart, liver, spleen and many other internal organs had atrophied.

He had been fed infant formula milk but at a concentration of 60 per cent of the usual level, the court heard. The mother had not taken the boy for any medical checks since his birth, except for one vaccination.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x