Chan to make most of second chance
Troubled striker Chan Siu-ki is aiming to put his troubles behind him as he starts a second career playing for Chinese First Division side Sunray Cave.
The Hong Kong international confirmed yesterday he would join the Guangdong side for 18 months.
'This is a second chance which I will treasure very much,' said the former South China striker. 'It has been a difficult period over the last two months and I am very happy to have the opportunity to continue my soccer career.
'I have let a lot of people down during this period; my former club South China, the club boss and the fans and I want to pay them back by establishing a new career in the China league.'
In the closing stages of last season, Chan found himself making headlines for the wrong reasons, being accused of breaching club rules by smoking in public and having affairs with various women. In late May, his contract with the Caroliners was terminated prematurely and he also withdrew from the Hong Kong team for last month's friendlies against Singapore and Vietnam.
'I was so upset about what had happened and came close to giving up my career, but now it's history,' he said. 'I will concentrate on soccer again and help my new club chase a place in the Chinese Super League.
'I'll have to give my best to secure a regular position up front. At the moment, there are two regular strikers in their line-up, including one expatriate from Africa and it won't be easy for me.'
Chan, who is quitting smoking, is also looking forward to representing Hong Kong again.
'It's always an honour to play for the Hong Kong team and if there is no clash of dates with the club calendar, I am more than happy to do so, provided the coach selects me.'
Hong Kong play Malaysia in September and will host the second round of the East Asian Championship in December.
Chan will leave for Guangzhou today and is expecting to play for Sunray Cave in their home match against Wuhan on July 28.
'It will take probably two weeks to regain my match fitness,' he said.
Meanwhile, South China have signed two Brazilians. Striker Leandro Rodrigues, who played for Santos FC in 2006, has joined along with Carlos Augusto, a midfielder. Convenor Steven Lo Kit-sing aims to make amends after failing to win any silverware last season for the first time since he took charge in 2006.