Li Wangyang complaint delivered

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 14 July, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 14 July, 2012, 12:00am


An official report on the investigation into the death of June 4 dissident Li Wangyang has apparently failed to quell Hongkongers' discontent. Yesterday two members of the League of Social Democrats submitted a letter of complaint and a petition signed by 4,000 people to Beijing authorities yesterday.

Meanwhile, a lead forensic specialist in the official probe, which found Li hanged himself, claimed the deaf and blind activist had tried to commit suicide by hanging twice prior to his death on June 6.

Li was found dead last month near a window of his hospital ward in Hunan province with a noose of white cloth around his neck. His death came four days after Hong Kong Cable Television broadcast a defiant interview with the labour activist.

The findings of a provincial police inquiry, released on Thursday, upheld the initial verdict that the frail 62-year-old had committed suicide.

In Beijing, league members Lo Hom-chau and Chan Yu-nam said they had asked the central government to publicise the truth about Li's death. Lo said petition office officials accepted the complaint letter but not the signed petition. The pair, who have been tailed by police and barred from speaking to the media, will fly to Hunan today to try to contact Li's sister Li Wangling and her husband. The couple have not been seen in public for weeks.

The Hong Kong China News Agency has shown a handwritten note allegedly from the couple that said they wanted to avoid the media.

Legal activist Tang Jingling , to whom Li Wangling had written for legal advice, questioned the authenticity of her signature on the handwritten note. Tang said the signature was 'completely different in the sequences of the writing strokes' from the signature he previously saw, suggesting the note 'was not signed by Li Wangling herself'.

Human rights activist Hu Jia said fellow activists would continue to search for Li Wangling and her husband, and would appeal to end the crackdown against lawyers, human rights activists and Li's friends, including Zhu Chengzhi.

Speaking to two Hong Kong television stations' reporters in Beijing, Cong Bin, a vice-chairman of Chinese Forensic Medicine Association who joined Hunan's official probe, said Li had attempted to hang himself twice while in jail - first in 2008 using some pieces of cloth, and again in 2010, using shoelaces.

Cong also pointed to a finding in the official report that suggested Li had climbed over a bed next to the window where he hanged himself.

Meanwhile, pan-democrat Lee Cheuk-yan, chairman of the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements in China, said an Australian forensic expert was expected to complete his examination of the report on the inquiry into Li's death early next week.

On the mainland, Li's name has been excluded from domestic media coverage, leaving most mainlanders unaware of the report.