Wife killed husband 'after years of abuse'

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 11 August, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 15 August, 2012, 11:23pm


A woman who battered her husband to death after years of unhappiness in their arranged marriage told the court yesterday she had been raped, subject to domestic violence and had attempted suicide.

Cleaner Liu Chui-fa, 44, was testifying on the second day of the trial for beating her husband, Cheung Chok-choi, to death after he threw away valued possessions of hers.

She pleaded not guilty at the Court of First Instance to murdering her partner of 20 years in their flat in Fanling on August 22, 2011. Her guilty plea to manslaughter was not accepted by the prosecution.

Taking the stand yesterday, Liu, who is Indonesian-Chinese, said she was abandoned by her parents in Indonesia as a baby and was adopted by a farming family living in a small forest village.

But her stepfather proved to be abusive and raped her when she was a teenager, she said.

At 17, frustrated by her parents' command to marry someone for whom she felt no affection, she jumped off a building. She was bedridden for six months.

She met Cheung when relatives took her to Hong Kong for match-makers' interviews, the court was told. Although she didn't like Cheung, she married him a week after they met because she spent a lot to travel to the city.

Cheung beat her in disputes over money. They normally slept in separate rooms and even different flats, with their sons describing the relationship as more like a business deal.

'He did not treat me as a human. He didn't treat me as his wife,' she told police.

Liu said her husband gave her housekeeping money at first, but later asked her to work at his fish stall in Sham Shui Po for around HK$1,000 per month before starting to skip payments. She took another job about two years ago.

On the day of the killing, Cheung demanded that Liu clear out the Fanling flat, as he had decided to move back in after living with their sons.

Cheung choked her to force her to dump her things, including gifts for her stepmother, the court heard.

She became enraged when Cheung made a profane reference to her mother's genitals. When he knelt in front of her, she delivered several blows to his head with a hammer.

The trial continues.