-
Advertisement

Tramways censored campaign ad, group says

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Stuart Lau

Hong Kong Tramways has been accused of censorship after pulling election ads featuring radical candidates for September's Legislative Council poll.

While the MTR, public buses and even taxis are plastered with campaign advertisements, the tram company on Friday withdrew an ad from private media group HKReporter.com, which is linked to the radical political party People Power, just 24 hours after the ad first appeared.

HK Reporter chief executive Ray Chan Chi-chuen said the advertisement was promoting a post-election analytical programme on the website. Although the advert called for a 'change of dynasty on September 9' and features the faces of four members of the radical party, including three candidates, Chan denied it was meant for electioneering.

Advertisement

The advert was to be carried on one vehicle until September 7

'The tram company told us the phrase 'September 9' and the faces of candidates explained why it had to be withdrawn ... although the advert had been approved previously,' he said.

Advertisement

'I guess [the company] might have been under some sort of pressure, probably from other political groups,' Chan, a People Power candidate in New Territories East, said.

Chan said the company had promised a refund of the HK$70,000 cost to run the ad. Tramways' spokesmen could not be reached yesterday.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x