Environment

Landfill charges change

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 23 March, 1995, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 23 March, 1995, 12:00am

PRIVATE waste collectors are to face new charges at landfills.


A two-tier charging scheme for small and large waste vehicles will be replaced by charging on a per tonne basis.


Last year private contractors told the Government the original system was unworkable because of the large price jump between large and small trucks.


Contractors said the scheme did not take into account domestic waste collected daily by private contractors. The Government has now also decided not to charge private collectors for disposing of household waste.