Sex confession 'made in fear'

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 22 April, 1995, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 22 April, 1995, 12:00am

A DRUG addict threatened an insurance salesman into confessing to the rape of his 10-year-old stepdaughter, the High Court heard yesterday.

The 33-year-old man testified that the heroin addict sharing his 'cage' at the police station had warned him that he would be beaten if he refused to admit his guilt.

The stepfather said terror motivated him to write out a confession dictated by a police officer.

He pleaded not guilty to rape.

Yesterday, the rape charge was dropped, and replaced with one of unlawful sex with a girl under 13.

The stepfather said a policeman with a 'very fierce look in his eyes' told him what to write after commenting: 'You should pay for a prostitute instead of doing something like this.' His 10-year-old girl accuser did an about-face on Wednesday, saying she had fabricated the incident.

Now 13, the girl said she has found God and turned over a new leaf.

The girl's mother told the court her daughter had been 'very naughty' before she joined the church.

'She smoked, played truant from school and wrote love letters to boys,' her mother testified yesterday.

She said her daughter was rude and disrespectful to her stepfather.

'She swore at him all the time saying that he was not her daddy.' The woman testified that the girl once sent her parents a letter informing them that she was not coming home. She then spent the night with a boyfriend while her worried parents waited.

Prosecutor Christina Ma told the jury that the girl's stepfather raped her in early 1992 when she was home from school sick.

The 10-year-old had been sleeping and awoke to discover her stepfather lying naked on top of her, the court heard.

The court was told that the girl struggled vainly to push him off.

Ms Ma told the jury the girl had shared her secret with a 'line friend' she had met through a telephone chat-line.

In December last year this new friend passed the information to the school out of concern for her well-being, the court was told.

But the teenager testified that her line friend had sexually attacked her after declaring his love.

The girl said she had no fixed address at the time her stepfather was said to have raped her.

She was being shunted back and forth between her grandmother, her mother and her aunt.

A doctor who examined her found that she 'could have had sexual intercourse', the court heard.

The trial continues before Deputy Judge Yeung.