Imelda fights back
From JOHN DIKKENBERG in Manila
IMELDA Marcos yesterday fought back against disqualification from congressional elections on May 8.
She told a packed press conference no matter what the Commission on Elections (Comelec) decided, she had a 'heavenly mandate' to run on behalf of the people.
'The will of the people is the will of God and it is the people who will decide the matter. If the people are for me, who can be against me? Everyone knows that I am running for congress out of compassion for my fellow Filipinos, not out of ambition.' Mrs Marcos was disqualified by the commission for failing to meet the residency requirement of one year. But she showed journalists house bills and receipts as alleged proof she had been a resident of the Second District of Leyte for the requisite time.
Mrs Marcos said not only was Leyte her home province and the Second District capital Tacloban her home town, but she had been resident in the city for more than a year at the home of a nephew.
'The reason I put down 'eight months' under the 'residence' section of the Comelec form is because I only re-occupied my ancestral home in Tacloban eight months ago after it had been sequestered by the President's Commission on Good Government for three years since 1992,' she said.
'They say I am not from Leyte, but I can tell you that even when I was the first lady, I never left Leyte,' she said.
Mrs Marcos said the two to one decision to disqualify her was part of a harassment campaign to 'consign the immediate members of the Marcos family to the dustbin of history'.
Calling the revolution of 1986 a 'national nightmare', and the resulting Cory Aquino administration a 'revolutionary government of neo-colonialists', she said: 'It is part of the overall strategy of my political adversaries to delay the inevitable: the political rehabilitation of the Marcoses'.