Tsing Yi towed out for scrap
HONG KONG United Dockyards' (HUD) oldest floating dock Tsing Yi will be turned to scrap at Xinhui in southern China.
The dock, with a lifting capacity of 24,000 tonnes, was towed out of Hong Kong through the West Lamma Channel this week by the tug De Shun belonging to Guangzhou Salvage. The buyer is understood to be David Mao, known locally as the 'king of scrap'.
Local marine firm Charmichael & Clarke acted on behalf of London insurers and liaised with the Chinese authorities.
The dock was built for the Royal Navy as Admiralty Floating Dock No 35 by Braithwait Burn & Jessop Construction Co at Calcutta and completed in 1945.
It was commissioned in 1946 and based in Ceylon.
It was later shifted to Malta and then to Hong Kong in 1975 and its name changed from Apple Dock to Chung Shan to Tsing Yi.
HUD bought the dock in 1980 from the Tung Group, which used the facility to repair its own ships.
The Tsing Yi has been replaced by the 40,000 tonne capacity United Dock, which was commissioned recently.
The dock was built in Singapore.