Tablet mystery in girl's death
By GREN MANUEL
MYSTERY red tablets found by the body of a 17-year-old girl who died from a suspected drug overdose have been sent for analysis after hospital staff could not identify them.
Yeung Chit-man is the second teenage girl to die of a suspected overdose in a week.
Police said she was found lying unconscious in the sitting room of a 35th-floor flat at Man Wah House, Lok Wah South Estate, Ngau Tau Kok, just after 8.30am and certified dead at United Christian Hospital.
She had run away from her family after a row and was living with a friend.
A red-coloured pill believed to be a soft drug not listed on standard drug identification charts and traces of a dangerous drug in a paper straw and a plastic bag were found at the flat.
A psychiatrist who specialises in drug abuse said that mixing drugs to heighten sensation was common, but that unmarked tablets were 'quite unusual'.
Poor quality control could mean the tablets could have widely varying amounts of active ingredients, which increased the risk of overdose.
They could be 'cut' or mixed with substances such as commercial headache relievers, strychnine or even talcum powder, he said.
Last week Tse Kam-ling, also 17, died in a flat in Chuk Yuen North Estate, raising concern about drug-taking among females.
But police said there was no evidence yet that the women had been taking the same substances.
A woman found unconscious on a staircase at Shekkipmei Estate on May 1 died in hospital of a drug overdose.