• Sun
  • Apr 20, 2014
  • Updated: 1:33am

Cadres soft on bribes fight

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 05 August, 1995, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 05 August, 1995, 12:00am

MORE than a year after Beijing declared war on bribe-takers within the Communist Party, officials have admitted cadres are still resisting the campaign.


The deputy secretary of the party's Central Commission for Discipline Inspection, Hou Zongbin, yesterday said the biggest problem the campaign faced was the 'lack of resolve' within the regions.


Speaking at a national conference, Mr Hou lamented a general lack of commitment and 'serious resistance' from the provinces.


And he vowed to go after 'big tigers' instead of 'small flies', before ordering that from now on, about 40 per cent of the senior commission officials would have to get directly involved in investigations, and all leading cadres would have to assume key roles in the hunt against their fallen comrades.


He told his colleagues they must turn in more 'big tigers' this year, but stopped short of imposing specific quotas.


Mr Hou also pledged the commission would investigate all leads reported by the public and told his colleagues to re-examine all clues collected so far to make sure they had left no stone unturned in their investigations.


According to the China News Service, other speakers at the conference were commission investigators who reported on the progress of their probes in various government departments.


Although there was only a slight increase in the number of corruption cases investigated by the commission in the first half of this year, the news service said the body had disciplined 44.4 per cent more senior cadres.


Share

Login

SCMP.com Account

or