Thai court delays start of flood prevention works
A Thai court has ordered the government to hold public hearings before it begins US$11 billion of crucial water management and flood prevention projects.
The projects costing US$11.2 billion were initiated after Thailand was hit by the worst flooding in half a century in 2011. More than 800 people were killed in the floods.
A Central Administrative Court judge said Thursday the schemes which include flood diversion channels and reservoirs will have a wide impact on people and severely affect the environment.
He said public hearings as well as environmental and health impact assessments must be completed before any hiring for design and construction can go ahead.
Last month, four companies from China, South Korea and Thailand won bidding for nine projects in the government’s master plan.