Left-hand cars need permit

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 09 September, 1995, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 09 September, 1995, 12:00am

I REFER to A.G.A. Daun's letter headlined, 'Registration rules confusing' (South China Morning Post, August 16).

A left-hand drive vehicle may not be used on Hong Kong roads unless it has a left-hand-drive permit (LHDP), or is driven by a visitor to whom an international circulation permit (ICP) has been issued.

At present, LHDPs are issued to four types of vehicles, namely, vehicles registered in the names of consular staff; vehicles imported temporarily by motor traders for export; cross-border buses which can pick up/set down passengers only at specific bus bays; and special purpose vehicles requiring left-hand steering for operational reasons.

An ICP is issued to a visitor who brings a motor vehicle, whether left-hand-drive or not, into Hong Kong for use for any period not exceeding 12 months.

On the question of modification works to vehicles, any 'bull bar' fittings, mascots or other modification work to a vehicle should comply with the legislation.

No mascot or unnecessary attachment should be carried by a motor vehicle in any position where it is likely to strike any person.

I hope we have answered Mr Daun's inquiries.

If he requires any additional information, he is welcome to contact Mr S C Chow, Senior Executive Officer (Licensing) on 2804 2565.

LAWRENCE LIU for Commissioner for Transport