Erwiana assault case delayed for medical reports

Helpers demonstrate outside court as accused released on bail

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 25 March, 2014, 12:03pm
UPDATED : Tuesday, 25 March, 2014, 3:04pm


The assault case against the former employer of Indonesian maid Erwiana Sulistyaningsih was adjourned today as medical reports have not been received from Indonesian authorities.

Prosecutor Rosaline Leung asked for the delay at Kwun Tong court as she said she was still awaiting “full medical reports and full pathologist’s reports on all alleged victims to be sent from Indonesia”. She added, however, that all victims’ statements were ready.

The high-profile case was due to restart after the first hearing in late January.

Law Wan-tung, 44, is charged with one count of causing grievous bodily harm with intent, one of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, one of common assault, and four counts of criminal intimidation against three domestic helpers including Erwiana.

Leung said they had tried to communicate with Indonesian authorities but the requested reports are still not available.

Magistrate Ernest Lin Kam-hung adjourned the case to April 29 and told prosecution to consider sending someone to Indonesia in order to speed up the process. He extended Law’s bail but reduced her daily reporting to the Tseung Kwan O police station to three times a week.

Wearing a black jacket, Law stood before Lin with her head down and her hair covering most of her face.

She put on a mask and sunglasses immediately after the hearing, while a few dozen foreign domestic helpers at the hearing tried to catch a glimpse of her face.


Outside court, about 20 supporters from the Justice for Erwiana and All Migrant Domestic Workers Committee chanted “Justice for Erwiana” and said they were unhappy with the postponement.

Prosecutors previously told the court that Erwiana suffered multiple injuries, such as broken teeth and upper jaw, nose fractures and brain swelling, after the two alleged assaults at Law’s Tseung Kwan O home from July 5, 2013 to January 9 this year.

Three other charges allege that Law assaulted and injured a second maid, Tutik Lestari Ningish, as well as threatening to injure Ningish and her family between April 19, 2010, and March 30, 2011. The alleged offences took place at Law’s former home in Mong Kok.

The remaining two charges allege that Law assaulted a third helper, Nurhasanah, and threatened to injure her and her family at the Mong Kok flat in December 2011.