Can contact police station

PUBLISHED : Monday, 26 February, 1996, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 26 February, 1996, 12:00am

I REFER to Emily Cheng's letter, headlined, 'Curb noise' (South China Morning Post, February 15).

Noise from public places is controlled under sections 4 and 5 of the Noise Control Ordinance and is enforced by the police.

Section 4 is a general provision to control noise from public places which is causing annoyance to any person at night (11pm to 7am), or on a general holiday.

Section 5 provides control, at any time of the day or night, over particular sources of noise, including games. The police subjectively determine if a nuisance is being caused and take action accordingly.

Ms Cheng may contact her local police station (Wong Tai Sin Police Station, telephone No 2320 6871) for immediate action if the noise nuisance recurs.

R.C. ROOTHAM Principal Environmental Protection Officer for Director of Environmental Protection