Spain coach Vicente del Bosque has insisted he will not rush into a decision on his future after his side ended their disappointing defence of the World Cup with a comfortable 3-0 win over Australia on Monday.
The world and European champions had already been eliminated from the competition before the clash in Curitiba and Del Bosque said he is prepared to step aside if it is in the best interests of Spanish football.
“There is no deadline. The president [of the federation], the general secretary and myself will talk and look for the best solution for our football sensitively and calmly,” said the 63-year-old.
Prior to their elimination in Brazil, Del Bosque had led the most successful period in Spain’s history as they claimed their first World Cup in South Africa before retaining their European title in 2012.
And he said his players shouldn’t be castigated for their showing over the past 10 days given all they have done for their country over the past six years.
“I have been with the national team six years and throughout that time we have been the number one ranked side in the world,” he said.
“We have a group of players that have behaved and performed excellently. Now we have to lose with our heads held high and the future of the Spanish national team, as you saw today, is in good hands no matter who the coach is.”
And goalkeeper Pepe Reina backed Del Bosque to continue on for at least another two years.
“I hope he stays,” said the Liverpool goalkeeper.
“Sometimes you learn from the bad things more than good things. Most probably he has learned more from this World Cup than the last one.”