• Thu
  • Sep 18, 2014
  • Updated: 8:47am
NewsChina
CRIME

Shenzhen resident receives reward for anti-terror tip

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 10 July, 2014, 12:35pm
UPDATED : Friday, 11 July, 2014, 8:35am

For the first time, a resident of from Shenzhen has been paid a cash reward for giving police information that led to the arrest of a terrorism suspect.

The case was paid for the detention of a fugitive who police in Xinjiang said was involved in terrorist activities.

Shenzhen police reported on their social media account that the citizen's tip-off led to the suspect's capture only hours after the suspect had fled to the city.

Police revealed no further details about the case. Shenzhen police introduced its anti-terrorism reward scheme on June 16, which promised cash ranging from 50,000 yuan (HK$62,800) to 500,000 yuan for each piece of "valid anti-terror intelligence" that helped police crack a case.

There would be no cap on cash rewards for intelligence "crucial" to a case, police said.

At least 12 provinces, regions and municipalities have set up similar reward schemes, including Xinjiang, Yunnan and Beijing, following a directive from the Ministry of Public Security, The Beijing News reported late last month. "Some people used to be indifferent about the anti-terrorism campaign, but when they think about a 500,000 yuan cash reward they will make a call and help prevent a terrorist attack," Li Keming, an official in the ministry's anti-terrorism department, told the paper.

As well as information from the public, the government is also looking to recruit foreign counterterrorism experts to train "a new generation" of anti-terror personnel, state media reported.

The People's Public Security University in Beijing would hire foreign anti-terror experts as visiting professors for its new counterterrorism course, the China Daily reported.

"We urgently need to cultivate counterterrorism specialists to improve our preventive and terror-fighting capabilities," Cheng Lin, president of the university, was quoted as saying.

The initiatives follow a series of attacks in Xinjiang and other cities on the mainland in recent months that have left dozens dead and wounded.

The government has blamed the violence on Muslim separatist militants from Xinjiang.

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or