Sidelines stance over selection body details

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 16 July, 1996, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 16 July, 1996, 12:00am

The Government will not take the initiative to help the Chinese side check whether Selection Committee candidates may have covered up criminal records or lied about permanent residency status.

The Preparatory Committee announced last week that candidates running for the 400-strong committee to select the post-1997 chief executive and the provisional legislature would not be required to make a declaration.

That is because the Preparatory Committee is not the territory's government and does not have information on criminal records and residency status.

At yesterday's Legislative Council constitutional affairs panel meeting, Secretary for Constitutional Affairs Nicholas Ng Wing-fui said the Government had no plans to help the Preparatory Committee as the committee had not requested assistance.

But he said the Government would consider offering help if the Preparatory Committee asked for it.