Golden on the march as Instant-Dict crash out

PUBLISHED : Monday, 12 August, 1996, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 12 August, 1996, 12:00am

Golden continued their excellent record against rivals Instant-Dict as they sent the league champions crashing out of the Regional Council Cup with a 3-2 victory at the Tuen Mun Tang Siu-kin Sports Ground yesterday.

It was Instant-Dict's first defeat in a domestic tournament in more than four months as Golden moved confidently into the semi-finals of the pre-season tournament.

Golden beat the league champions twice last season; first in a stormy Senior Shield match in which they won 3-0 and then in the FA Cup semi-final which they won 3-2 on April 7 at the Hong Kong Stadium - Instant-Dict's last domestic defeat.

Golden turned on the style again under the blazing sun to show that their earlier victories were no fluke.

Scottish striker Lee Bullen fired home two goals including a superbly-struck 14th-minute volley.

Former Welsh international Colin Pascoe added the other and despite a late charge by the champions in the second half in which Australian striker Paul Foster and Hong Kong international Tim Bredbury both got themselves on the scoresheet, Golden held on for their victory.

Bullen took his goal-scoring tally in the tournament to four after strikes in the 14th and 53rd minutes.

He was delighted his side qualified for the semi-finals where they will meet South China on Wednesday night at North District sports ground in Sheung Shui.

'The main thing was for us to go through. It was good that we won but our concentration in the second half let us down a bit. We let in two silly goals but we are getting better and better with every game,' Bullen said.

'I'm very happy that the team has come on but we have another tough game on Wednesday.' Bullen added his second when he stabbed home after fellow striker Anto Grabo had cut the ball back into his path.

Golden goalkeeper Gavin Kelly turned in a hero's performance tending his goal with authority and denying Instant-Dict any goals in a steady first-half display.

Pascoe gave Golden a 3-0 lead with a 63rd-minute goal after drilling his shot near the right-hand post past goalkeeper Mick Leonard.

Instant-Dict fought back in the second half and reduced the deficit with a 74th-minute goal from Foster.

Last season's league top goalscorer with 20 goals headed home after Bredbury chipped the ball in to the box.

Bredbury came close in the 66th minute, picking up Yeung Hei-chi's through ball, but pulled his shot wide of the post.

But he got himself on the scoresheet with a low shot from close range in the 86th minute to make the final score 3-2 as Instant-Dict finished third in Group One with two points from three games.

Hong Kong international Bredbury said: 'We had a couple of clear chances and I think we played the best football we have ever played. We knocked it around and had we scored from our chances, we would have won. We're pleased we played well even though we lost.'