New flags snapped up by schools

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 04 February, 1997, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 04 February, 1997, 12:00am

More than 1,200 Chinese national and SAR flags manufactured in Guangzhou have been snapped up by schools five months before the handover.


Although it has yet to be decided whether it will be compulsory for schools to raise the national flag or that of the future Special Administrative Region after July 1, most schools plan to be prepared for either eventuality.


The Hong Kong Federation of Education Workers said there had been a good response to the sale of flags ordered from a Guangzhou factory since last year.


Yu Siu-cheung, supervisor of the federation's resource centre, said its first batch of 100 flags were sold in less than a month.


Mr Yu said: 'Most schools order both the red star and SAR flags although they have yet to decide whether to fly both or either flags, or even none.


'But it is reasonable to fly the flags in schools at least during big school functions such as sports days or graduation ceremonies if not daily.


'Some teachers said they would display the flags to students while teaching the Basic Law knowledge. Few Hong Kong students have really seen them, except on television or in newspapers.'