• Sun
  • Nov 23, 2014
  • Updated: 7:10pm

'I carried body parts on bus'

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 10 July, 1997, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 10 July, 1997, 12:00am

A killer chose an air-conditioned bus to transport his lover's severed legs so the smell would not bother early morning commuters, a court heard yesterday.

Tommy Leung Wai-chung, 36, confessed to using buses, minibuses and taxis to dispose of the remains of his dismembered lover, So Sheung-lan, after strangling her in the early hours of July 22 last year.

Leung admits killing the 35-year-old insurance agent but claims it was manslaughter, not murder.

After the killing, Leung said he panicked and used his kitchen knives to chop up the body.

The parts were wrapped in plastic bags and hidden under his daughter's bed, a Court of First Instance jury heard Leung say on a police videotape.

'I left for work the same morning,' Leung said on the tape. 'I took a bag at random from [under] the bed. I didn't know what it was, but it wasn't the head. I went to Tsuen Wan by minibus. On arrival . . . I got off and discarded it.' The next day he changed his route and took another parcel. But the body had begun to decompose and 'there was a strange smell'.

'On the morning of July 23, I took an air-conditioned bus to Sheung Shui,' Leung said. 'I went there because it was convenient and . . . I was afraid of the smell if I took a non-air-conditioned bus.' Leung randomly dumped So's body parts across the New Territories. Police recovered all but her head, buried under 30,000 tonnes of trash and gravel in the Sha Tau Kok landfill.

So had come to Leung's Shap Pat Heung village in Yuen Long, where they watched television and had sex. He had unsuccessfully pleaded with her to give up gambling, he said.

'I killed So. It was out of momentary rage,' Leung said, claiming she had refused to listen to what he had to say. He said she owed a lot of money but was reluctant to find a way to pay off debts.

He said he started to strangle So, then 'stopped and wanted to see if she had anything to say. She said, 'you'd better strangle me to death at one go' . . . I strangled her'. The trial continues today before Mr Justice Frank Stock.


For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive




SCMP.com Account