Gas leak leads to cache of chemicals
A gas leak at a Kwun Tong factory led firemen to an illegal cache of 20 tonnes of lethal chemicals.
About 40 workers were evacuated from the Wai Yip Street building after complaining of an irritating gas.
Firefighters brought in ventilation machines and searched the building between the sixth and ninth floors.
The chemicals, including drums of ammonia solution classed as Category 3 dangerous goods, were found stored in an eighth-floor office.
Kwun Tong Fire Station commander, Chung Wing-kwong, said the firm was not licensed to store the dangerous goods. Samples were sent to a government laboratory for analysis and the chemicals were taken to a dangerous-goods godown.
'If we confirm the chemicals are Category No 3 dangerous goods and kept without a licence, we will take legal action against the company,' he said. The maximum penalty is a $25,000 fine.