Safety hazard denial | South China Morning Post
  • Mon
  • Jan 26, 2015
  • Updated: 12:21am

Safety hazard denial

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 08 October, 1997, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 08 October, 1997, 12:00am
 

Hongkong Electric has been accused of failing to ensure safety at a Quarry Bay construction site where two workers suffered burns from shocks.


The Labour Department summonsed the company for not taking action to prevent fire hazards.


A representative of Hongkong Electric appeared at Eastern Court yesterday and denied the allegation.


Two workers, Kwan Tak-kuen and Cheung Pak-kin, were removing and replacing cables at a power substation at Model Housing Estate in King's Road.


But when they began installing new cables on December 6 they received an electric shock, sustaining burns to their faces and hands.


The court heard the main power supply was not cut off and the cables and some conductors were still active.


The workers were not wearing insulated rubber gloves, the court heard.


The hearing continues before magistrate Julia Livesey today.


Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or