Fire hazard case firm acquitted

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 09 October, 1997, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 09 October, 1997, 12:00am

Hongkong Electric was yesterday acquitted of failing to prevent fire hazards after a magistrate said the company had taken sufficient precautions.


Julia Livesey said the company had already implemented appropriate safety measures at a Quarry Bay construction site when an electrical shock injured two workers on December 6.


A representative of Hongkong Electric denied a charge by the Labour Department which accused it of failing to take action to prevent fire hazards.


Two workers suffered burns to the face and hands after getting a shock while installing cables at a power substation in Model Housing Estate, King's Road.


It was alleged the main power was not cut off at that time and the cables were still alive.


But Eastern Court heard the electricity supply in the district would have been affected if the main power supply had been switched off.


 

Promotions