Gas leak pair fight for lives
Two people were in critical condition in hospital last night after a toxic gas leak from a Kowloon Bay industrial building.
The leak occurred at about 7.30 pm before employees had finished work at the Fook Hing Industrial Building in Sheung Yuet Road.
Firemen evacuated hundreds of staff and cordoned off the area. They ventilated the premises using giant electric fans.
The injured pair, a man aged 34 and a 19-year-old woman, were thought to have been working on the third floor, the source of a leak of hydrocyanic acid.
Five firemen became ill and were taken to United Christian Hospital.
Government chemists collected samples of the gas.