Gas leak pair fight for lives

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 18 October, 1997, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 18 October, 1997, 12:00am
 

Two people were in critical condition in hospital last night after a toxic gas leak from a Kowloon Bay industrial building.


The leak occurred at about 7.30 pm before employees had finished work at the Fook Hing Industrial Building in Sheung Yuet Road.


Firemen evacuated hundreds of staff and cordoned off the area. They ventilated the premises using giant electric fans.


The injured pair, a man aged 34 and a 19-year-old woman, were thought to have been working on the third floor, the source of a leak of hydrocyanic acid.


Five firemen became ill and were taken to United Christian Hospital.


Government chemists collected samples of the gas.


Share

Send to a friend

To forward this article using your default email client (e.g. Outlook), click here.

Gas leak pair fight for lives

Enter multiple addresses separated by commas(,)

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.