Toxic chemical containers seized
GOVERNMENT officers seized 60 chemical containers from a Kowloon Bay trading firm yesterday, after determining the company had no licence to store the toxic substance.
Two workers in the Fook Hong Industrial Building, Sheung Yuet Road, were in stable condition at United Christian Hospital last night after inhaling a toxic gas believed to have emanated from the first-floor firm.
The chemicals seized and taken to government chemists for analysis were unlabelled, a spokesman said last night.
But the substance which began leaking into the building on Friday night, causing fire officers to evacuate and cordon off the building, was thought to be hydrocyanic acid.
A probe has begun into the company's possession of the chemicals and possible overstorage.
Employees Lam Mei-kwan, 19, and Lo Yuk-luen, 34, who worked in the building were thought to have inhaled hydrocyanic acid but this was still under investigation, the spokesman said.
Five fire-fighters received treatment after they evacuated the area.
Four were discharged from United Christian Hospital yesterday, while the other was in a satisfactory condition.