Officials accused of dodging workers
Officials were accused yesterday of avoiding the public when they refused to attend a forum to talk to construction workers.
Invitations had been sent by the Democratic Party to the Education and Manpower Bureau, the Construction Training Council and business groups to talk to under-employed construction workers and against the importation of foreign labour.
But the business groups sent no one to the forum, while a bureau spokesman said it had discussed the issue with party members on Monday and had held regular meetings with people from different sectors.
'We saw no need to go to the talk again as we already know their opinions,' the spokesman said.
But party labour issues spokesman Andrew Cheng Kar-foo said the administration's attitude showed the Government was lining up with business.
'If they said they don't need to meet us because they already know our views, then there is no need to do public consultations anymore. They did not come because our recent finding that up to 95 per cent of construction workers are under-employed would embarrass them,' he said.