SAR tourism chiefs call for extra care
Tourism chiefs in Hong Kong yesterday asked would-be visitors to Egypt to be extra careful, but they stopped short of issuing a warning against travelling to the country.
'We urge individuals to be aware of potential problems in the country.
'But they will have to decide for themselves whether to go or not,' a Travel Industry Council spokesman said.
But he said a warning would not be issued because the country was not a favourite with tourists travelling from Hong Kong.
The comment came after the Monday massacre of at least 57 foreign tourists by gunmen at an ancient temple in Luxor.
About 15 Hong Kong tourists are in Cairo on a two-week tour of the Middle East organised by Globair.
The firm's managing director, Teddy Chung Chi-kan, said the tour would leave Egypt tomorrow according to schedule.
No early departure request had been made, he said.
About 10,000 Hong Kong residents visit Egypt each year, many on official and business visits.