• Fri
  • Dec 19, 2014
  • Updated: 2:07am

Charges over defaced flags being studied

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 13 January, 1998, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 13 January, 1998, 12:00am
 

Investigators are considering prosecuting people who may have breached the post-handover flag ordinances by displaying defaced national and SAR flags during a march on New Year's Day.


Police submitted a preliminary report to Secretary for Justice Elsie Leung Oi-sie last week and are expected to complete the final report over the next few days.


Two defaced SAR and national flags were erected outside Central Government Offices by demonstrators from the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of the Patriotic Democratic Movement in China during a march on January 1.


A Taiwanese flag was also erected.


Investigators are understood to be studying whether the display breached the ordinances on national and regional flags.


The laws stipulate that no regional or national flags should be displayed if they are damaged, defiled, faded or substandard.


But sources said no one was seen destroying the flags.


Police are also studying if the display of Taiwanese flags was a breach of any specific laws.


Ms Leung said: 'We will decide whether to take prosecution action and which laws to apply after studying the facts.'

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or