Handle with chair

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 11 February, 1998, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 11 February, 1998, 12:00am

An elderly woman remains seated as firemen lift her to safety, along with 12 other people from a retirement home after a gas leak in To Kwa Wan yesterday.

All 13 were later sent to hospital after a gas pipe was ruptured during work on water pipes near the Fuk Wing retirement home in Kowloon City Road.

While firemen sprayed water on the burst pipe to stop the gas from spreading, the old folk, 12 women and one man, had lunch served on the street.

But when several complained of feeling tired and ill, they were taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital for observation. All were later released except a 72-year-old woman who was in stable condition last night.