Xinhua News Agency

14 bus blast victims still unidentified

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 17 February, 1998, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 11 June, 2015, 4:10pm

Fourteen of the 16 people killed in the Wuhan bus blast at the weekend remained unidentified yesterday.

Authorities with the Wuhan municipal Government said the cause of Saturday's blast was still being investigated.

Police said they could not rule out the possibility of a bomb.

Traffic on the bridge over the Yangtze where the explosion occurred had returned to normal, Xinhua reported yesterday.

But police remained on high alert in the mainland's fifth largest city, the capital of Hubei province.

Meanwhile, the official press has called for the speedy arrest of those responsible for the blast.

An article in China Youth Daily said yesterday the people of Wuhan were 'very outraged'.

'They think the criminals are cruel, and they hope the police will seize the criminals as soon as possible.' The paper said the explosion occurred at the back of the bus. Nine passengers died instantly.

The blast was so strong that one body was hurled 30 metres.

Two passengers were thrown over the bridge on to its lower deck which is used for rail traffic, the paper said.

The shockwaves were so powerful that they smashed windows in two restaurants and a public toilet 100 to 200 metres away, the Guangzhou-based Yangcheng Evening News reported yesterday.

Thirty people were hurt in the blast, including a young boy who suffered serious internal injuries.

Some of the injured are still recovering in hospital. Some were deafened by the explosion while others were disfigured.

In the first graphic account of the blast reported by mainland media, a retired soldier sitting behind the bus driver said he turned his head after hearing the explosion and saw a plume of blood from the dead and wounded spray into the air.

His wife, sitting behind him, was killed.

The Yangcheng Evening News said a young man standing by the door at the front of the bus said he felt as if he had suffered an electric shock and immediately lost consciousness.

The bus driver, who survived the blast, was helping police in their investigations, reports said.