• Fri
  • Dec 26, 2014
  • Updated: 3:10pm

Housing plan to be reviewed

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 23 March, 1993, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 23 March, 1993, 12:00am
 

THE Government is ready to reconsider the sandwich class housing scheme amid growing discontent in the Legislative Council over the present proposal.


Councillors were unhappy that the scheme to provide a $2 billion subsidy to the sandwich class would only benefit a few and say the proposal would create conflict in society.


Speaking at a Legco Housing Panel meeting yesterday, Principal Assistant Secretary (Lands) Ms Cheung Siu-hing, said the Government was ready to reconsider the proposal if members had second thoughts.


''The only way to tackle the problem in the short term was to take flats in the private market. And, if members think the matter is not so urgent, we will be happy to reconsider the scheme,'' Ms Cheung said.


''But members of society and councillors last year told us they wanted to have a quick solution to the problem,'' she added.


She said the proposal would be submitted to the Executive Council in April.


During the meeting, United Democrats legislator Mr Szeto Wah said to spend a huge sum on only 3,000 families would lead to social conflicts and contradictions.


Mr Szeto also doubted the urgency of the problem, and his view was echoed by Co-operative Resources Centre member Mr Gilbert Leung Kam-ho and independent legislator Mr Andrew Wong Wang-fat.


Earlier at the meeting, the Secretary for Planning, Environment and Lands, Mr Tony Eason, said the Government hoped to secure an extra land grant from the Sino-British Land Commission to build flats for the sandwich class.


Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or