REMINDER OF TIANANMEN SQUARE INTERVIEW - BUT NO COMMENT THIS TIME
He was under the media spotlight - just as he was nine years ago in Tiananmen Square.
Tailed at Newark airport by a crowd of frenzied reporters - mainly from Hong Kong - Mr Wang had to push aside microphones and cameras to get to a waiting car.
Tuesday's images looked strikingly familiar. In 1989 when Mr Wang was a student commander in the square, he was interviewed by some of the same reporters. Every comment was reported in great length in the Hong Kong press.
He was a hero then.
But, nine years later, Mr Wang remained silent except for thanking journalists for their concern. 'Thank you, I will answer your questions on Thursday. Please excuse us,' said Mr Wang as he was escorted from the airport.
He will hold his first press conference since his release at the New York Public Library tonight. His mother, Wang Lingyun, said the conference might be his last before he returned to his studies.
Mr Wang has been careful with his words since his release and has declined interviews. On Tuesday, he expressed regret that a private conversation with a Hong Kong-based reporter had been published as an interview.