• Wed
  • Jul 30, 2014
  • Updated: 4:18pm

Lack of witnesses, but trial goes on

PUBLISHED : Monday, 10 August, 1998, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 10 August, 1998, 12:00am

The trial of the owner and pilot of the King Roger is continuing in the Philippines, but without key witnesses.


The outrigger's owner Rogelio Alenzuela, 53, and his nephew who piloted the boat, Romeo Parcon, 25, have been charged with negligence for causing multiple deaths in the accident on August 15.


About two hearings are conducted every month, although the trial did not start until late last year.


The tour guide based in the Philippines, Sally Yip, who was said to have reassured tourists the sunset cruise was safe, has gone missing after the tragedy and has not appeared before the court.


Alenzuela and Parcon have been released on court bail but said they were still living in sorrow a year after the tragedy.


Alenzuela said: 'I'm still very sad. I'm very sorry. Please tell the Hong Kong relatives that I want to apologise to them.


'I'm very worried that I have to go to jail. But I'll accept it if I have to. But I've a big family. Seven children and seven grandchildren. We're having money problems because of the accident.' Alenzuela said he had to borrow money to cover his legal costs.


Share

Related topics

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or