Xinjiang 'not so dangerous'

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 26 August, 1998, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 26 August, 1998, 12:00am

Xinjiang is no more dangerous than any other part of the world, the region's Vice-Chairman said yesterday.


Noting that terrorists had struck recently in Northern Ireland and Africa, Zhang Zhou said 'nothing has happened' in Xinjiang in the past eight months. The autonomous region has previously been subjected to terrorist attacks by separatist groups.


'After eight months of arrests and suppressions since the end of last year, no incidents have happened this year,' Mr Zhang said.


However, a Hong Kong human rights group reported two weeks ago that eight policemen were assassinated in Kashgar by Muslim separatists who attacked a police station.


Xinjiang officials have not confirmed that the event took place.


In May, Mr Zhang told foreign journalists that fewer than 100 criminals had been arrested and sentenced for murder, arson, causing explosions and other terrorist activities in cities like Yining and Urumqi. But Mr Zhang stressed that activities by separatists in Xinjiang were 'under control' and the situations were 'stable and secure'.


He said the terrorists represented a 'small minority', and the Government had smashed several terrorist groups in the past eight months.


 
 
 
 

You may also like