Five taken ill in gas leak at university

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 08 September, 1998, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 08 September, 1998, 12:00am
 

A gas leak at Hong Kong Polytechnic University led firemen to a cache of 100 litres of inflammable liquid yesterday.


Five air-conditioning technicians inhaled the unknown gas and became ill while working on the ground-floor plant of the university's Block G in Hunghom.


Firemen searched the building and found the gas was coming from a solution used to paint the floor of an office in the same block.


A spokesman for the Fire Services Department said: 'We suspected the gas emitted from the solvent was pumped into the ground-floor plant through the ventilation system.' A drum containing the solvent was found abandoned in the office with its cover open. Samples were sent to a government laboratory for examination and the drum was taken to a dangerous goods godown.


Four of the workers remained in satisfactory or stable condition last night. One 55-year-old man was discharged after treatment.


Share

Send to a friend

To forward this article using your default email client (e.g. Outlook), click here.

Enter multiple addresses separated by commas(,)

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.