Hostages' release sought
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs Office urged the Philip pines last night to take 'appropriate measures' to secure the release of two Hong Kong residents held captive by an armed gang.
Security Bureau chiefs and ministry officials said reports that three SAR residents had been abducted were inaccurate. A government spokesman said one of the men was Malaysian.
The men - Law Cheung-lau, So Chi-ming and Tong Ket-ming - were kidnapped by 30 heavily armed men on the southernmost Philippine island of Malamanok last Tuesday.
The spokesman said families of the two Hong Kong men had asked the Immigration Department for help yesterday. It is understood they will travel to the Philippines.