Mill militants march to top | South China Morning Post
  • Sat
  • Mar 7, 2015
  • Updated: 7:28am

Mill militants march to top

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 17 September, 1998, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 17 September, 1998, 12:00am

The legal battle to win compensation for the loss of Nationalist stronghold Rennie's Mill moved from court to the Chief Executive's Office last night.


About 100 former Rennie's Mill residents marched to the Court of Final Appeal after Mr Justice Raymond Sears of the Court of First Instance ruled they would not get an extra dollar above the Housing Authority's offer.


'Return our right to property,' they bellowed on their way to demand to see Chief Justice Andrew Li Kwok-nang at the Court of Final Appeal.


Having sacrificed his job to devote himself to the cause for the past two years, ex-resident Lee Hoi-man vowed to fight until the end.


'Don't give up. We have to save up bullets for our ongoing battle,' he told fellow villagers, many of whom had been his neighbours and friends since the 1960s.


Mr Lee, who lost his claim to $199 million compensation in the morning, wrote a letter giving the name and ID card number of every resident to Tung Chee-hwa and asking that he intervene to resolve the matter.


The plea was handed to a policeman and the protesters dispersed calmly shortly before 8pm.


Mr Lee said the Chief Justice's representative had said they could write down their demands.


The group, many of whom were elderly and using walking sticks, professed their love for Rennie's Mill.


Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or