• Fri
  • Nov 28, 2014
  • Updated: 6:22am

Decorator burned to death by stove

PUBLISHED : Friday, 16 October, 1998, 12:00am
UPDATED : Friday, 16 October, 1998, 12:00am

A man burned to death after using a gas stove to aid his home decorations, an inquest heard yesterday.


Mainlander Man Shui-ming, 50, attempted to heat his son-in-law's flat in Kwai Chung with a gas stove to melt pink paint on a parquet floor, the inquest was told.


Man was taken to hospital with third-degree burns to 80 per cent of his body on January 29. He died the next day.


Coroner Paul Kelly returned a verdict of accidental death, but warned of the need for caution when using inflammable products.


'I hope those who hear of this death realise there are dangers even in this most straightforward activity of house painting,' Mr Kelly said.


Police officer Sin Ying-kit told the inquest Man had claimed the paint was not spreading well due to the cold. He lit the stove to raise the temperature.


Government chemist Cheung Yiu-ming said the resulting heat caused the paint to emit xylene vapour. The flammable vapour was ignited by the gas stove.


Share

Related topics

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or