Careless visitors caused fire

PUBLISHED : Friday, 30 October, 1998, 12:00am
UPDATED : Friday, 30 October, 1998, 12:00am
 

I live in a small village on Lamma and the horrifying sight of a raging fire on a nearby hillside on Wednesday, was, to say the least, very disturbing.


Yet again, it was started by visitors to this island for the Chung Yeung festival and this potential problem was highlighted by Edward Stokes' excellent article in the South China Morning Post on October 20 Unfortunately, people seem not to be aware of the dangers of leaving graves unattended with lighted joss sticks. There must be some way of getting the message across.


Thanks to the great work of the fire services and the helicopters, the drama was brought to a happy ending.


They did fantastic work putting themselves at risk as a result of thoughtless people.


V. A. DAVIES Lamma

Share

Send to a friend

To forward this article using your default email client (e.g. Outlook), click here.

Careless visitors caused fire

Enter multiple addresses separated by commas(,)

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.